Herndon’s Winter World Cup is our most popular program, and an original concept only offered in Herndon! It is a competitive, yet very fun tournament held over the winter with games only. It is a great opportunity for players across travel teams and clubs to deepen or build friendships and camaraderie through the love of soccer.
The emphasis of the program is enjoyment and development through competition--not through coaching.
- Individual players from various Herndon travel teams, as well as from other travel clubs, are mixed and placed on WWC teams named by country.
- Each team represents their national team by wearing a replica jersey for their uniform. Countries represented in the past have included USA, Argentina, Germany, Brazil, Spain, Colombia, England, Croatia and Iceland.
- Parent volunteers have been chosen by the WWC professional staff to facilitate communication and manage game day substitutions--no formal coaching allowed.
- Parent volunteers are instructed to allow the players to experiment and problem solve, without the pressure to perform. The nature of the game itself and the World Cup environment should serve as motivation for the player to compete.
- Players should expect equal playing time and experience playing a variety of positions.
- Teams will be assembled by WWC staff to maximize competition. However, some players from the same club team may be placed together on a WWC team to ensure enjoyment or for car pool accommodations.
· 7v7 or 9v9 with goalkeepers
· Similar to the FIFA World Cup, the first round of games in the Winter World Cup are the “group stage” to set up seeding for the second stage based on points.
· Unlike the FIFA World Cup, teams are not eliminated in a “knock-out stage” but rather continue in seeded matchups until the final day of championship or consolation games.
COST: $100 that includes a WWC national team replica jersey
AGE GROUPS: Open to travel players and recreational All-Star players
· U9/U10 COED
· U11/U12 COED
· U13/U14 COED
· U15/U16 COED